Friday, April 2, 2010

An extended Family

Being here at college in Utah has taught me so much about family. It's taught me how to live without my immediate family and how to cherish the few precious minutes I get to spend on the phone with them. It's taught me how much they mean to me. It's taught me to be independent. 

I've also learned a lot about extended family. I always grew up far away from my cousins and aunts and uncles. I loved family reunions but those were every 3 years. Coming here to school I've gotten to spend so much time with my extended family and my cousins are my very best friends. Tonight I saw a cousin of mine that I haven't seen in 12 years. And we talked like old friends. There's something about family bonds. No matter how crazy, insane, dramatic, or weird your family is... every one is still there for each other. And I love the relationship between cousins. Love it. 

In a way, my extended and immediate family have swapped temporary places. My immediate family is extended across the world. And my extended family lives 30 minutes down the road. 

Everyday I'm reminded how lucky I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment