Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dinner-time conversation

"Alli donde fueres, haz lo que veras"

I learned this saying tonight at dinner when my host mom was telling us about her crazy sister-in-law that is from the DR and refuses to accept Spanish culture even though she is married to a Spaniard and is living here. For all of you non Spanish speakers it basically just means that wherever you go you should do what you see. Embrace culture. 

This got me thinking. Sure, we all have our own culture and our own ways of doing things. We want people to know and understand where we come from. I am American. I am an Arkansan. I am a student. I am a writer. These are parts of me, parts of my culture. However, I am always changing and bringing new parts of culture into my world. My past cultures affect the way I do things and view the world, but I must have a constantly changing perspective. We can't have a set way of doing things and expect that to be the best and only way of doing it. And when we are in a new place that isn't our own we must keep our eyes open. It is such an invigorating feeling to know your way around a metro system and which bus to take to the train station. It is exciting to feel like you belong somewhere that you didn't previously call home. 

So, while I'm off in different lands I do my best to "hacer lo que veo". Here in Spain I eat meals at odd times, I only use public transportation, I relax in the Plaza, I go to bars for tapas and coke, I get excited about futbol games, and if I decide to go out to a club...it's not until 3 or 4 in the morning. It's interesting though, how "my" culture will always be a part of me. We can't ever get rid of where we grew up and the way we are used to things. And that's how I like it. I am me and I am exploring other people's worlds. And maybe our worlds can affect each other in good ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment