Sunday, April 10, 2011

Music

Music. It's something that I have a hard time writing about, because I don't know how to put my feelings for it to words.

I grew up listening to Broadway musicals on road trips with my mom, taking piano lessons, dancing for as long as I can remember, and playing the flute in band. I've always loved music, in all of its forms. Growing up in a small town, music would entertain us for hours and bring us together in unexplainable ways.

There are certain bands that me remind me of myself at different times in life. And certain songs that still get me. Every time. And some songs will throw me mentally back into an exact moment of time. Like listening to Ben Gibbard on the way to the Brand New concert. Or falling asleep to Iron and Wine while living with Caty during the summers. Or Mumford and Sons during bus rides through the Spanish countryside. Or hearing "The Ghost of Corporate Future" by Regina or "Title and Registration" by Death Cab because they were the beginning of it all.

Music is bonding. You can talk about it for hours and when you find people that share your same love of music it's enthralling, relieving even. To know that they feel the same way you do when listening to certain albums.

And how music defines us. And teaches us. And shows us. And never ceases to amaze us. It's one of the only things that can cross cultures. One of the only things that we can all relate to. And that alone, is incredibly impressive.

I love discovering music and listening to it over and over and over until I am familiar with it. Until it becomes a part of me. And mix cd's...well those are exciting for everyone. Sharing a part of yourself with others by giving them a playlist. Or finding out about a person by listening to the 15 songs they chose to put together on a cd. It is just wonderful.

Newest discovery:


Thanks music@10. 

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes our taste in music is so similar it's eerie. I love it.
    And I love Angus and Julia. They make me feel... safe? warm? whatever you call that feeling you get when you listen to them. Happiness.

    ReplyDelete